Friday, October 30, 2020

Music and Family

 

Hello everyone! I hope you all are doing well and had a fantastic week. I am very excited to talk about this week’s topic! Music is very important to me and my family. It has been a part of my family for many years. I could probably tell you a century’s worth of history of how music relates to my family, but that would take too long to type, and I know that you all have other things to do than read my blog. This week’s blog will be how my family’s influence on me sparked my interest in music and an interview from one of the people who had the most influence on my interest in music.

I am not sure if this was clear or if I mentioned it before, but I grew up in a Black Southern Baptist Church. I had a lot of family members who went to my church. My dad would always point out who was my kin and how they were my kin every time he spotted someone in the congregation and on the choir.

Every Sunday after Sunday School, my friends and I would find a pew to sit in the sanctuary. I would always get excited to hear what the choir was going to sing. I was mesmerized by how the lead singers would take charge and move the whole sanctuary by their voices. It meant even more to me that most of the lead singers were related to me and it made me want to be just like them. When I was on the choir, I secretly crossed my fingers every time our choir director said she needed someone to take the lead. I was always scared because I never thought that my singing voice could ever be as good as my cousins who led songs all the time.

One person who I always get excited to hear sing is my grandfather, Beattie Robinson. I chose to interview him because he has a lot of wisdom and experience in a lot of things. He used to be in a singing group with his brothers and continues to sing at our church on the choir. Unfortunately, I did not get him to sing in the interview, but that is because you have to hear him sing in person. He talks about how music has changed and how music is supposed to give you a feeling instead of being for fame.


I hope you all enjoyed this week's blog. I will see you guys next week!


5 comments:

  1. Great blog Bailey! Your grandpa seems like a really cool guy to get to know and it seems like he knows a lot about music back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandpa is so awesome, i could listen to him talk for hours and keep asking him questions. It was cool hearing him list off names at the beginning because i'm like "Yoooo we just learned about them!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I really enjoyed listening to your gramdpa and how passionate he talked about music back in the day and how it played a role in his life. Mostly everyone wrote everything out, so it was great to watch your video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyy! I absolutely loved your video, your grandfather is so cute. I loved when he was talking about the R&B music he used to listen to and said, "oh I'm going way back." I also loved his answer to "how do you think music has changed?" and also how dance has as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandpa is such a light and his energy really came through in the video. I couldn't help but laugh when he said hillbilly music. I also liked how he said music has changed in the sense that it's for showing off rather than a place of passion.

    ReplyDelete

Our Final Destination: Japan

Hello, you guys! It’s been a while, but I am finally back. Unfortunately, this will be my last post on The World's Ensemble. The last pl...