Friday, September 25, 2020

Music and Gender

 

Hello! I hope everyone is having a good week so far. For this week's blog, we are going to be discussing the effect gender has on music preferences. 


In your playlist, have you noticed there is one gender that you listen to more than the other? I have more male artists in my playlists, and they sing songs about being successful, break ups, promiscuity, and being in love. If you have more male artists in your playlist, you may be wondering why. Look in the music industry, and you will see the males dominating in most genres. Also, in each of these genres, you will see most of the songs are about love. I am not an expert on love and relationships, but it seems to me that music is a way for guys to attract their love interests. As I look through my playlists, most of the older songs are about love. One of my favorite songs, "All I Do Is Think of You" by Troop, is about how the singer has a crush on a girl at school. As I listen to the song, I feel as though I am the girl that he is trying to get. 



R&B is a genre that mainly has songs about love and heartbreaks. This is my favorite genre because it makes me feel like I am the person the artist is singing to just like in the song "All I Do Is Think of You." It seems like more women like listening to R&B and Pop genres, and men seem to listen to more Rap and Rock songs. At my high school, I remember overhearing a conversation a group was having about what type of music they listen to. One of the girls in the group said that she listened to a rap artist that the guys liked. The guys were very shocked.


Stereotypes about different gender listening to certain genres also affect women in the music industry. Usually, women in the music industry are singers in the Pop and R&B genres. A few years ago, it was rare to see women in the Rap industry, but now, you will see that women rappers are becoming more common. Unfortunately, women in the rap industry do not get the same respect as men.

 

The music industry is an industry that is dominated by males, but women are slowly creeping behind them. I believe that more women will be in the industry and they may dominate the males in the future.

What are some of your favorite songs and how what do you think about music and gender?

I will see you guys next week!


7 comments:

  1. This blog was straight fire, Bayley. I never thought about what gender I listen to more in music and now that I think about I think it's females, especially in the R&B department. And one of my favorite artists would have to be Lauryn hill. In her music, she uses rap and singing, the masculine and the feminine aspects of music a smashes them together to make something so beautiful. I feel that all songs should incorporate this type of style, blur the lines between gender traits in music. Also, why is it weird when guys listen to female artists, but not when females listen to male artists. Am I the only one that notices this? Aside from my ramble, great post Bayley, very engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I never really thought about thinking of myself as the person that the singer is talking about until you wrote this blog. Now that I actually am thinking about it, I do in fact put myself in perspective of the singer and his music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think that the topic of music has changed a lot through out time. In older time most of the music was about love like you said and yes a lot of men sang them. I feel like now a lot of music is really only about sex, drugs, and money which is not really what music should be about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting blog, thought it was cool how you kind of touched on the way the music changed throughout the years, and yes I agree, music is very male dominated. I like how their music of so real, it was on real events, love, decent content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a very interesting perspective in this blog. I never realized how a lot of love songs are sang by men. I agree that female rappers need more credit in the industry. I've noticed that I used to only have a few female rock artists in my playlists because they seem kind of hidden. Women in the industry are really rising up though and it's so great to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, female rappers don't get as much respect as they should. they're typically more unproblematic. They are getting more recognition as time goes on but it's still not the same level as male rappers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I do not listen to a lot of love songs, so I have never noticed that they are mainly sung by men. I do realize that I listen to more males than female singers. I like your perspective on the subject, and I agree that female rappers do not get the same recognition as male rappers.

    ReplyDelete

Our Final Destination: Japan

Hello, you guys! It’s been a while, but I am finally back. Unfortunately, this will be my last post on The World's Ensemble. The last pl...