Friday, August 28, 2020

My Musical Culture

Hello everyone! My name is Bayley and music is very influential in my life. I started my musical journey when I started to sing in my church's youth choir. I went on to play the piano in the fourth grade and stopped in the seventh grade. Before I stopped playing the piano, I started playing the violin in the sixth grade and continued through high school.

Music has a special connection with me. It calms me down when I'm stressed out or nervous and gives me a boost in energy when I'm feeling tired. I like to listen to different genres and artists like Trey Songz, WizKid, and Natti Natasha. One artist who really means a lot to me is Beyonce. Her music style ranges between fast and fun to slow and sad. "Schoolin' Life" is a song that helps me whenever I have a big decision to make. As an indecisive person, I have trouble making decisions whether they are big or small. Sometimes, I make decisions on what others want me to do, but this song reminds me that I need to choose what is best for me.


During the quarantine, I discovered new artists and songs I forgot existed. One song that I had on repeat every day was "Valorie" by Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse. I rediscovered this song when it was on a commercial for the Amazon Echo Show. I created many playlists during the quarantine and that song was on most of them. It reminded me of how much I missed my friends because Amy was wondering about how one of her old friends was doing.



One artist who I do not really like is Ellie Goulding. I can see why people like her because her songs sound like the perfect summer songs, but I do not like her voice. I do like some of her songs like "Love Me Like You Do" because I can relate to the lyrics. Her other songs are songs that I would not listen to in my free time.






4 comments:

  1. Ah, I completely understand why you aren't a fan of Ellie Goulding because I sometimes don't care for artists because of their voices. I feel like I used to listen to a lot of her music in the past though, not so much anymore! Also Beyonce is THE QUEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard that song by Beyoncé and it sounds completely different from her last two albums. I enjoyed it and the lyrics were relatable. I can understand not enjoying Ellie Goulding as an artist. I haven't liked any thing from her since Lights and Starry Eyes. Those songs remind me of middle school and bring back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for Ellie Goulding's voice either. I have tried to get into her music, but I can't. I've never heard of the two songs you included. I really like them though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the song "love me like you do" and nothing else by her as well. How important are the lyrics in proportion to the voice? Is the Music more important or is the lyrics? What else do you think is "bad" or "good" about her music?

    ReplyDelete

Our Final Destination: Japan

Hello, you guys! It’s been a while, but I am finally back. Unfortunately, this will be my last post on The World's Ensemble. The last pl...